What to know before your electrolysis appointment:
It is important to us at the Porch Swing Spa that you feel comfortable, so for your convenience you can fill out the medical intake form online at www.porchswingspa.com
You will personally meet with Charlene or Jaimie at the consultation to discuss your past medical history and for us to answer any questions you may have.
Here are a few guidelines:
- Please leave hair long enough to feel so we can remove the hair.
- Please note if you’re wearing makeup we will remove it and stress you do not reapply it over the facial area treated for at least 48 hours.
- Avoid drinking any caffeine 24 hours before your appointment, as caffeine makes you hypersensitive to treatment.
- Drink plenty of water. Hydrated skin is important for the permanent removal process and reduces skin healing time. We recommend 64oz a day for best results.
- Avoid rushing to appointments, so you arrive relaxed.
- If you have had any laser treatment before you MUST wait 6 weeks or more before starting electrolysis treatments.
- If you’ve had a chemical peel or a derma plain treatment you MUST wait 2 weeks or more before electrolysis treatment. Try to schedule around them.
- Some night creams, wrinkle creams, anti-fatigue creams, or miracle creams contain Retin A, or other ingredients that may cause an over-reaction to treatment. Discontinue use of such creams a week before starting treatment. You may bring the creams you use along so that we may determine if they contain any ingredients that could cause a reaction such as redness, etc.
Please note: Charlene is no longer accepting NEW patients. If you schedule a new appointment you must do so with Jaimie. Thank you!
What to expect after your electrolysis treatment:
Most clients with normal to average skin (meaning not sensitive) could have the following reactions:
- Redness and/or swelling (normally subsides between 1 -4 hours) If it becomes troublesome you may apply a cool compress to the area (avoid icing because your skin recognizes that as trauma causing a worse reaction)
- Keeping the skin clean after treatment is important. You can cleanse and soothe with Witch Hazel, Hydrogen Peroxide and Aloe Vera. (When cleansing with HP, less is more as peroxide will “boil” out the sensitive area causing “white spots” almost resembling a white head. Dye free aloe vera is the best option – avoid the green and blue dyed aloes)
- If you have very sensitive skin we even suggest changing your pillow case so it is clean and no previous dirt or oils can irritate the area.
- Do not touch, pick, scratch or rub the treated skin. It may be irritated, but doing this causes more irritation and also allows bacteria to enter the open skin, possibly causing an infection.
- Avoid using any soaps, cleansers, moisturizers or makeup on the skin for 24 hours. For best results use only the 3 products suggested – Aloe, Witch Hazel and Hydrogen Peroxide.
- Avoid using hot tubs or chlorinated pools for 24 hours for body areas treated.
- Avoid sun exposure even in the slightest. The skin after treatment is healing and cannot properly protect you from the UVB, UVA rays. Sun exposure can cause significant scarring to the area. We recommend using a SPF 40 or higher.